Monday, July 25, 2011

Do They Know You Love Them?




Howdy everyone! I hope you had a wonderful and adventurous weekend!

We survived our weekend, which was filled with long travels, frustration and tears...and mom and dad aren't doin so hot either! Without diving into too much personal detail, I feel it's enough to say that we have felt a flood of emotions this weekend. There are certain inevitibilities that we have had to come to accept (it has nothing to do with Landon, by the way, he is doing great) and it has been a definite struggle for us. Which leads to today's topic.

Just over two years ago, an uncle of mine passed away. All my grandparents died either before I was born or while I was really young, so this was really my first exposure to mortality. During his funeral, something was said that really made me think about life. The heavy weight of mortality sank in as I considered how often I wasted time being frustrated because I was trying to get in the last word, or I was fighting to be right with any number of people in my life.

I especially considered this with my husband and the occasions he left for work frustrated because of a confrontation we had. I truly don't believe that there is an innocent side to any confrontation, but what if he left the house that day and got into a car accident and the last thing he felt was irritation with me? What if I missed a chance to tell him I loved him and I never saw him in this life again? Was the fight worth it? Was it worth a small victory, when in the end I would loose one of the most important people in my life?

What about my kids? What if I chose not to kiss them good night and something happened? Perhaps these are horrific things to consider, however, I would dare say that there are plenty of widowed mothers and fathers out there that would give anything to be able to say those last words, as well as parents who suffer the pain every day because they didn't take the time to kiss their child goodbye. A prime example of this is Mrs. Dugard when she didn't see her child again for 18 years.  

What I realized was that I was taking my family and the opportunity that I had to love them for granted, and this weekend was a manifest to that, which is the cause of this heavy topic today.

All I ask is that whoever reads this really takes a look at their loved ones, and take the time to show them you love them. They may or may not be here tomorrow, and in the event that they are not, do they truly  know how you feel? 

As for me, I want to dedicate this post to a very special woman in my life. I want to let her know just how much I appreciate her and everything she has done on our behalf. She has been such a blessing in my life, as she has given me an opportunity to have a grandmother...something that I've never had. I am grateful for the time and opportunity I have had to be able to love her.

We love you, Ri, so much. Thank you for all our memories and for being such an inspiration to us! You are always in our hearts and in our prayers!

No comments: